Monday, February 6, 2012

My Weekend Wall Art Project!





Since we will be painting the kitchen soon, I decided to go ahead with a wall art project I've been dreaming about


. I found this photo in a home decor magazine.  NOT CHEAP, so I decided I was going to attempt an affordable version of this using heavy duty scrapbook paper and some cheap frames.


I started by purchasing six 12x12 frames from the dollar store.  They were going out of business so I got the frames for next to nothing.  They were just frames with a cardboard print stapled to the back of them.  I started by removing the staples and taking the cardboard off.



I then spray painted the frames.  I was originally going to paint them with a brush, but the cheap material of the frame forced me to spray paint. I was super excited it actually turned out really well after a few coats.









Next I used spray adhesive and glued my scrapbook paper to the cardboard that was originally in the frames. 


 



Last, I hot glued the cardboard with my new print onto the back of the frame.  I could have used staples, but I didn't have any on hand.  The glue worked just as well.


This is the final result!  It's a little hard to see the detail in this picture since a few of them are light in color.  They are not quite as beautiful as the magazine version, but I love them and it cost me only $12 to make!!  :-)  Now I just need to get my kitchen painted so I can put them up on the wall over our table!





Go check out the Newbie Party at http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/ http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/  and http://www.morganandkari.com/   and see some great stuff!  You can also link to these sites by using the buttons on my sidebar!


6 comments:

  1. I love this. So colorful too. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the scrapbook paper you chose! They are really beautiful. What a fun and easy way to decorate your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks absolutley fantastic! I love how you saw something that was extremely pricy and re did it to fit your budget! Thanks so much for sharing at this weeks Tutorial Tuesday

    Kari
    Newlyweds on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it--oh scrapbook paper, it can melt my heart! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete