Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Terrariums Made Easy!



I'm really excited to show everyone today how I made three beautiful terrariums.  I'm super disappointed though, because some of my pictures got deleted off my camera. :-(  I had it all ready to go with step by step pics and instructions, so we'll just have to make do with what I have.  It's so easy, you have to make one!


First, here's the supply list:

-A container for your terrarium.  It needs to be clear glass, with or without an opening.  I made two with lids, one without.  Purchased at HomeGoods.
-Small rocks or pebbles. Purchased at Home Depot.
-Aquarium charcoal(or activated filter carbon) Purchased at Petco
-Sterile potting soil. Purchased at Home Depot
-Sheet moss(optional) Purchased at Home Depot. 
-Terrarium plants. Purchased at Petco

I listed the places I purchased everything because that was the hardest part for me.  I ran ALL OVER town trying to find all this stuff.  Hopefully I've saved you some trouble.

The first step is to clean your container.  This is important to keep plants alive and healthy by allowing sunlight to come in easily.

After you have cleaned your container, you want to add your small rocks.  This is the bag I bought at Home Depot:




You want to make the rock layer about 1 1/2- 2 inches deep.

Next I added my charcoal.  This was just a thin layer, enough to cover the rocks.  Here's a picture of the product I used:


Next you will want to do your potting soil layer.  I bought a small bag of MiracleGro, but you can use any sterile potting soil.  When I say sterile, I mean a new bag, not soil existing in your back yard.  I made this layer about 3 inches deep.  I wanted to make sure it would cover the existing roots of my little plants.

Now onto the plants.  You can build several different kinds of terrariums, but I decided to do what they call a "tropical aquarium".  It's not as tropical as it sounds.  It's basically miniature versions of what we typically see as houseplants. 

This is what mine looked like when I pulled it out of it's store container:




Then you just pull the material around the roots gently off.  However, they are pretty hardy so don't stress over it too much.

Once you've done this, you are ready to plant them.  And just plant them like you would anything else, getting them down in the soil and filling around the top. 

I went ahead and added sheet moss all around my plants once they were in the soil.  I really liked the pop of green the sheet moss added with my other layers.  This is the sheet moss I purchased:



Now you are almost done!!  The last step is to water your terrarium.  They really don't need much water, so don't over do it.  I have only had to water mine once a week since I made them, and they are looking really good! You will notice after a few days that there are water droplets on the leaves.  This means it is working like it should! 







If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask.  I know I probably didn't cover everything, but I did a lot of research before I made these so I feel like I'm at least somewhat knowledgeable if there's anything you need to know.  I hope you like my terrariums!!

 

2 comments:

  1. These are so cool! I have wanted to make a terrarium for a long time. I really just need to Do It!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timeless European-inspired architecture marry contempo design and amenities offers its
    resident a truly alluring abode to call home.the interlace condo [http://theinterlacecondo.sg]

    ReplyDelete