Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mom Knows Best-The Skills I Should Have Learned

Today I want to talk a little bit about my mom and all some of the things she TRIED to teach me growing up.  First, here's a little background on the woman I call Mom.


 From left to right this is my sister Amy, Me(not the best pic), and my mom!

  Her name is Pam, and she's pretty much my hero.  She and my dad raised me, my sister Amy, and my brother Eric.  When we were younger dad worked, and my mom stayed home with us, while running an in-home daycare for several other children.  She didn't love it, but it made it possible for her to stay home with her young kids.  Once we got a little older, mom decided to go back and get her college degree.  While she went to school she was still being a mother to three kids, and was now working two jobs to help pay for her education.  When I was ten she graduated with a degree in social work.  I'm now twenty-eight, and my mom went back and completed her masters just a few years ago.  I'm so proud to have a role model like her.  My mom knows what she wants, and she goes and gets it!  Which brings me to the real purpose of this post.  I want to talk about all the lessons I wish I'd learned from my mom.

Growing up, my mom tried to teach me what seems like a million different things.  Most of the time, I wanted no part of whatever she was doing.  This is probably somewhat due to the fact that I have the shortest attention span the world has ever known.  But when you're a kid, and especially a teenage girl, the last thing on your mind is learning boring domestic skills that every young lady should know.  Here is my list of things I wish I had paid attention to when my mom was trying to raise me.


Number 1-How to Cook
Okay, now let's be real.  My mom will even admit that she's not the worlds greatest cook.  Still, she had a meal on the table every night for us(excluding when she was in night school and my dad would cook us breakfast for dinner-still my favorite!).  She tried to teach me and my siblings over and over how to cook.  When we got older, she would even let each of us pick a night and she would help us make whatever we wanted for dinner.  I don't know if it was my lack of interest or short attention span, but I just never learned.  To this day all I really know how to make are tacos, spaghetti, and a few other things like that contain no more than five ingredients.  Sometimes I seriously feel bad for Garret that he chose me after being raised by a mother who makes wonderful food.

Number 2-How to Garden
When we bought our home last year, the furthest thing from my mind was gardening.  I've lived in apartments and rental homes since I was twenty.  My mom is one of those disgusting people who actually enjoys gardening.  I'm sorry if you're one of those people too and I just offended you.  I mostly say that because I'm jealous of you.  I want my yard to look beautiful!  I just have NO clue what I'm doing, and therefore I hate yard work and gardening.  When I was a kid my mom and dad gave me little place in the garden to grow whatever I wanted.  She would plant flowers with me, and show me how to take care of them.  I would get bored and they would die.  I remember one time without her permission I took a packet of daisy seeds and sprinkled them along our fence that was literally about 100 ft long.  They popped up EVERYWHERE!  I don't remember mom ever being upset about it though.  Maybe she was just happy I was trying to grow something.  The point is, I'm clueless when it comes to my yard. I know nothing about the existing flowers the previous homeowners planted, and don't even know where to start with planting my own. At this point, I guess the garden is a project for next year.

Number 3-How to sew
When we were kids my mom sewed everything from the curtains in my nursery to the clothes we wore on the first day of school.  She's not a master seamstress or anything, but she can follow a pattern and make a few things freehand.  Is freehand even a sewing term?  See, I'm hopeless.  I really, really, REALLY wish I had paid attention the hundreds of times she tried to teach me how to sew.  If I could sew I would have perfect curtains to match my perfect pillows that match my perfect everything else.  And I might have a few more dollars in my pocket!  I would also have the button that fell of my back pocket the other day.  I'd be able to make a table runner that I actually like.  I could repair the hem on several of my favorite shirts.  And I could make fun things for all my nieces and nephews.  But, no, I had to blow off the sewing thing just like cooking and gardening. 


So my question is this:
Can you teach an old dog new tricks?  Can I still learn to do all the things my mother has been trying to teach me for years?  I'll let you know soon.  One of my goals for this summer is to try and learn how to sew.  We're going to start out easy with pillows.  Then mom wants to try and teach me to do kitchen aprons as well.  I'll be sure to keep you all updated with any progress I'm making. 

I love you mom, thank you for trying to make me the best I can be! 

My question to you:

What things did your mother try to teach you that just didn't stick?  Surely I'm not alone!!  I would love to hear what all of you have to say, so please feel free to comment below!!

5 comments:

  1. YES!!! You CAN learn!! I was the same way. I never paid much attention to the things a girl ought to know about homemaking. I have had to make it up as I go along! ;) BUT I got a sewing machine for my 38th Bday. I had never touched one in my life! Now I am a sewing fiend! I can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I hope you can teach an old dog new tricks. I am 54 and trying to learn homemaking skills.

    Great post.

    http://titus2eight.blogspot.com/2012/06/real-titus-2-woman.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear that I'm not the only one. Good for you ladies for going after whatever it is you want to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You won a giveaway at my blog email me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed your site so I'm nominating you for the Illuminating Blogger Award for informative, illuminating blog content. I know not everyone participates in blog awards but I hope you'll at least check it out because it's a great way to discover new blogs and meet new web friends. If you're interested in participating, you can check out the details at my site ... http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award/ ... Either way, hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete