Sunday, June 17, 2012

My DIY Dad


Today is Father's Day, and in honor of my dad, I want to tell you a little bit about him.  His name is Mitch, and he's an electrician.  He is also the ultimate DIYer, which is probably where I get it from.  My entire childhood he was always down in his workshop tinkering around with something.  If mom wanted something built, he'd find a way to get it done.  I remember being just a little girl playing with my fake tools, and he working with his real tools.  And then as I got older, I'd want to build things with him.  If I wasn't really able to help, he'd set me up with something fun he knew I'd like to build.  Most of my projects didn't turn out great, but he never discouraged me from trying.  Just like always, even now he still has two or three projects going on at once.  And if I call him for help with a DIY project of mine, he usually can come up with a solution.  He's one of those people that can make something out of nothing....and make it look good!

My dad is not JUST a fantastic DIY guy.  He's also a loving, caring, good hearted man who has been there for me through it all.  From the time I was born, through today he's been a big part of my life.  When I was a kid, I was always by his side.  (Reference the blog post Mom Knows Best to fully understand how much of a daddy's girl I really was).  He went to every softball, cheerleading, dance, theater, choir practice or concert I had.  He has supported me in every decision I've made, good or bad.  And tomorrow I will get to take him to dinner. :-)

Today, I called him to wish him a happy Father's Day, and guess what he was doing?  Helping a neighbor paint their house.  It's a day all dads are supposed to relax, but it doesn't surprise me that he's out helping someone with their own DIY project.  That's just the kind of great guy he is.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!  I love you!

(Dad and my niece Charley)

2 comments:

  1. Found you at the blog hop with Kelly! I'm Lilly from feelLOVDeveryday. June 26 is my one-year bloggy anniversary and I'd love to get to 100 Followers. I'm your new Follower and if you want to hop on over to my little corner, you can check me out. If you like what you see, please consider following me:-) LOVD tidings,
    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for joining in the blog hop. I'm a new follower. I'm hosting my weekly link party right now and I'd love for you to join in.

    ReplyDelete