Monday, June 25, 2012

Studio 4 Chair Painting Class Using Annie Sloan Paint!


Hi all!!  This past week I had the pleasure of attending an Annie Sloan chair painting class at Restoration Emporium's Studio 4!! 

 It was a two night class, two hours each night.  And it was a blast!  The teacher of the class is Sheila, the owner of Me and Fred G.  And she was fantastic. 

The first night we all picked out a chair from about 20 that Studio 4 supplied.

(photo "borrowed" from Restoration Emporium)

Here's the chair I selected!



 I picked a chair with a lot of weird details so I would have a lot of opportunity to work with the products in ways I'm not used to. 

After selecting our chairs, we cleaned them.  With Annie Sloan paint, there is no sanding needed.  Yes, you heard me right.  Feels so good to skip that back breaking step!  Next, we all chose our chair color. 

I chose Duck Egg Blue.  I'm in love with this color!


We spent the rest of the first night just getting our chairs painted.  I chose to put only one coat of paint on since I was planned on distressing and using a dark wax.




The second night of the class I focused on distressing and waxing my chair.  First, we did a coat of clear wax.  Next, I did a bunch of distressing.  I didn't want a TON, but I tried to distress in areas that would normally look worn on an old chair.  I got a little carried away in some places, but what do you do. :-) 

After I finished that step, I decided to do a dark wax.  As I began to put it on, I decided I wasn't going to do the dark wax all over, but just highlight certain areas with it.  I used a combo of dark and clear wax for the second coat.  I wasn't sure how much I liked it that night, but the next day I was really pleased!  I made sure to buff the wax in 24 hours after I had applied it. 

And here she is!!











All in all, I think my first Annie Sloan experience was pretty good.  I know it will be darn near impossible to go back to any regular old paint after using hers.  It was just nice and thick, spread well, didn't run, and distressed so nicely.  Not to mention that all the colors are just so beautiful!  I think I'm in love!!

I hope you enjoyed seeing my chair come to life, and I look forward to showing you all a bunch of pieces in the near future!! 

Linking up at the following FANTASTIC  blogs.  Go check them out pretty please!

http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/2012/06/been-awhile-since-i-have-mod-podged.html#comment-62626














28 comments:

  1. My kind of project right here. I have painted with Annie Sloan's paint many of times now, and just love it. Your chair is a cutie pie. thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your parties are the greatest!

      Delete
  2. so cute! i love that little detail on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this chair! And I love ACSP in Duck Egg! I just bought some the other day. :) Glad to see this post via the Vintage Wanna Bee link party.

    Julie
    www.jamscorner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! I know, this color is fantastical!

      Delete
  4. Love the new look you gave this chair. That color is perfect! I would really to do this to my dining chairs but my husband would rather just buy new ones. He's no fun!

    New follower from GFC blog hop. Hope you'll stop by for a visit!

    Mar
    Www.RaisingBean.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they are just dream crushers sometimes!! Headed over to check your page out!

      Delete
  5. Found you from the GFC Hop. I am your newest follower. :) I am totally digging chalk paint projects right now. Your chair turned out super good.

    Hope you'll stop by and check out my blog too.
    www.roguebaby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for following and stopping by! I'll definately stop by and check yours out!

      Delete
  6. Saw you at Debbie-doos and I love the chair. Good to know you don't have to sand with this paint! I would love to skip that step every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sanding is a bummer. I just wish I had known about this paint before I did a bunch of my bigger pieces that took a million hours to sand!

      Delete
  7. Hey lady!! I just found your cute blog via the hop and added myself to your followers! Also I’d love to have you check out a fabulous OSCAR DE LA RENTA giveaway I’m having right now!!
    Hope to see you there! And thanks so much!
    Xo, Emily

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/06/oscar-de-la-renta-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for following, and just for stopping by! I will head your way now!!

      Delete
  8. hi there! coming from the hop!

    visit nichollvincent.blogspot.com!

    have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, it's so beautiful! I'd LOVE to try Annie's Paint! And I will...someday! Thanks for linking up to the Bloggy Paint Event! I just loved seeing your chair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you! I'm so happy with it, I'm glad other people think it's pretty too!

      Delete
  10. Nice color choice. It has a whole new personality now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chair turned out lovely. I'm about to start my first attempt at using chalk paint. I hope mine turns out as good as yours.
    ~ Terrie (your new follower)
    HearthandWhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your chair is fabulous! I would love to take a class like that! Can`t wait to see some of your future projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous color and great makeover. Im now following so that'll I'll be sure to see future projects.
    Please come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com. THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great chair. I loved reading about the chalk paint ... I have not worked with it yet but have heard such great things about it that I think I want to try it. Thank you for sharing it at the "Sunday Stop" and I will be featuring it so come on by to see it. I am a bit late getting it up today. Sorry!
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that color and your chair turned out really nice. The more I hear about this paint, the more I want to try it. I have been making my own, but I am sure not as nice as this. Thanks for sharing. Good tutorial.
    Followed and Linked up so I can come back to see what other neat things you do.
    Blessings.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely!! SO creative. I found your blog through the blog hop :) Excited to follow & read more of your awesome ideas!

    happy 4th this week! :)

    XO
    Erin

    sweetnessitself.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your chair looks AWESOME! What a great class--wish we had one here. I'd so attend!
    Carolyn http://sillyhappysweet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stopping by to say Hi from the blog hop. Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. phoenix house painter
    I discovered your web site via Google while looking for a related subject, lucky for me your web site came up, its a great website. I have bookmarked it in my Google bookmarks. You really are a phenomenal person with a brilliant mind!

    ReplyDelete